The Opening ceremony of Tomsk Technological Institute.
The first professors of the Institute.
Tomsk Polytechnic University was founded in 1896 as Tomsk Technological Institute of Emperor Nicholas II. The first technical higher educational institution in the Asian part of Russia was led by Professor Efim Zubashev who laid the foundation for the development of the best traditions of TPU as a large Siberian center for education and research.
Tomsk Technological Institute (TTI) ensured education and training of highly qualified engineers, which strengthened the industry and economy in Siberia, the Far East and the CIS countries (Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Kirghizia, and etc.). TTI established remarkable schools in the field of chemistry, mechanical engineering and materials science, physics and mathematics, electrical and power engineering, mining and geology, and building and architecture.
Researchers and graduates of mining and geological school of academicians V.A. Obruchev and M.A. Usov played a key role in the development of petroleum, coal and metallurgical industries in the eastern part of the country. Over 350 out of 14 thousand graduates of Siberian mining and geological school discovered mineral fields. Over 50 of them became laureates of Lenin and Governmental Awards, 15 were given the title of academicians and member-correspondents of the USSR Academy of Science (Russian Academy of Sciences), over 50 were awarded a doctoral degree and 800 became candidates of sciences (PhD). Researchers and graduates of the institute were actively participating in design, construction, and launch of main industrial enterprises in the Ural, the Far East and Siberia (Kuznetsk Metallurgical Plant, sites in Novosibirsk, mines in Kuzbass area).
In 1925 by the decree of Siberian Revolutionary Committee TTI changed its name into Siberian Technological Institute, and in 1934 it was reorganized into Tomsk Industrial Institute.
An important step in the development of the University as research and educational, methodical and engineering center was connected with the name of Professor A.A. Vorobiev. In 1944 Rector Vorobiev made it possible to award the status of polytechnic institute. New research fields began to develop at Tomsk Polytechnic Institute (TPI): radio engineering, electronics and automation, nuclear power engineering, cybernetics and computer engineering, high voltage engineering, engineering and technology of directional drilling, molecular physics, plasma physics and chemistry, and etc.
In the 1960s, the Institute continued enhancement of its research infrastructure. TPI founded 4 research institutes (Institute of Nuclear Physics, High Voltage Institute, Institute of Automation and Electrical Engineering, Institute of Non-Destructive Testing), launched the largest in the USSR synchrotron «Sirious» (1,5 GeV), and the only educational and research reactor beyond the Urals. At the same time, TPI was contributing a lot to space exploration studies. TPI researchers were involved in the creation of electron defectoscope applied for monitoring of special articles of rocket technology.
During democratic changes in the country and transition to market economy Tomsk Polytechnic Institute was led by Professor Yuri P. Pokholkov, under the auspices of whom a new concept of university reformation and development in social and economic conditions was created.
In 1991 due to its academic and research achievements, TPI was awarded the status of Technical University. Since 1991 Tomsk Polytechnic University (TPU) has been developing in compliance with five-year Complex Development Programmes (CDP). CDP of Tomsk Polytechnic University became one of the most critical innovations in Russian education which was approved and supported by the RF Government. CDP represents the forecast of university development identifying its objectives, ways to achieve them and necessary resources, as well as strategic action plan aimed at the achievement of set objectives. The first TPU CDP for 1991–1995 ensured conditions for university transformation from polytechnic institute to polytechnic university and for university development, specialist training, creation of advanced engineering and technology background. The second TPU CDP for 1996–2000 provided dynamic development of the university during the formation of market economy in the country and transition to post-industrial society. The third TPU CDP for 2001–2005 contributed to university integration into international research and educational community.
During the implementation of the fourth TPU CDP (2006–2010) the special emphasis was placed on innovative research, high technologies development, education, and training of graduates capable of ensuring positive changes in the Russian economy and improving its competitiveness in the world.
In 2007 the university became the winner of innovative educational programmes competition in the framework of Priority National Project “Education”. The objective of TPU Innovative Programme included education of elite specialists and professional teams of the world-class in priority areas of science, engineering, and technology. In 2007-2008 approximately 1 bln. rubles was allocated for its implementation. Within two years of Innovative Educational Programme implementation TPU purchased modern specialized facilities for 660 mln.rub., ensured the mass transition to licensed software, modernized 155 classrooms, developed 678 items of innovative educational methodical resources, provided professional development to 1043 staff members, including 393 in foreign universities and research centers.
In 2009 Tomsk Polytechnic University was among the winners of the 1st round of the competition for the award of the status of national research university (NRU) organized by the RF Ministry of Education and Science. 1.8 bln. rubles were allocated by the RF Ministry of Education and Science for the implementation of university development programme until 2018.
The fifth Complex Development Programme for 2011–2015 is based on conditions of TPU Development Programme for 2009–2018 as a national research university. University CDP consists of 7 large blocks defining the development strategy of educational, research, financial, economic and administrative activity. Innovative Development Programmes (IDP) of TPU structural divisions are an integral part of CDP. Being university fundamental document CDP includes response to internal and external challenges that the university faces today.
Currently, TPU is among the TOP international university by the Times Higher Education, the QS World University Ranking, and others rankings. Active development of a research facility and close attention to academic staff allowed the University to carve out a niche in a number of research areas, including materials sciences, nuclear medicine, the Arctic studies, big data, green energy, fresh water issue, and others.