The StrAU Ecological Energetic will ensure leading position of TPU among the world scientific and educational centers in the field of environmentally friendly production and use of energy. The StrAU strives to reach excellence in fundamental and applied research in reducing the negative impact of energy production on the environment and to expand knowledge in the field of clean energy. To fulfill this goal TPU created new academic programs Environmentally Friendly Technologies of Energy Conversion and Hydrogen Energy Technologies. The University is aimed to considerably expand data and knowledge in the field of green energy through collaboration with top scientific and educational centers.
Key academic programs:
- Heat Power Engineering and Heat Engineering;
- Electrical Power Engineering and Electrical Engineering;
- Nuclear Power Plants: Design, Operation, and Engineering;
- Power Engineering;
- Production, Transport, and Storage of Liquefied Natural Gas.
Key partner is PJSC Gazprom.
The main areas of research and engineering projects:
- Technologies of solid fuel gasification. The project is aimed at developing and implementing solid gasification technologies for domestic and foreign TPPs;
- Theory of ignition of organic coal-water fuels. The project is aimed at developing energy efficient ignition of fuel compositions based on coal and oil processing wastes, which allows effectively utilizing low-grade raw materials;
- Development of resource-efficient solid oxide fuel cells (SOFC). The project is aimed at creating a thin-film solid oxide battery SOFC with reduced operating temperature and increased operating life.
Expected results of the StrAU:
- The University research schools for gasification of solid fuels and hydrogen energy, recognized by the world community;
- Unique academic programs for training specialists for emerging markets in the particular priority areas;
- Development of environmentally friendly technologies and technical means for gasification and ignition of solid fuels using synthetic gas for electrical energy production.
Results achieved in 2016:
- The University in collaboration with Kutateladze Institute of Thermophysics SB RAS developed a method of reliable control of ecological indicators of coal combustion in the form of organic coal-water fuels under conductive and convective heating, and under mixed heat exchange;
- In partnership with Boreskov Institute of Catalysis and Institute for Interdisciplinary Innovations of Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nurnberg (Germany) determined physical and chemical mechanisms of interaction of various grades of coal and catalytic additives in the gasification process.
- Two original experimental devices were created to study the processes of ignition of suspensions of organic coal-water fuels in the vortex and layer regime. The laboratories have all possible conditions for studying ignition and combustion of promising suspensions in heat power plants;
- The StrAU estimated efficiency of using generators based on fuel cells in the distributive power engineering of the Russian Federation;
- The StrAU carried out experimental studies of the dependence of ignition timing of original and heat treated solid fuels on intensity of the radiant heat flux using a continuous laser at an original high-precision facility. Based on the data obtained one determined activation energy of the oxidation reaction of a fuel in its heterogeneous and homogeneous ignition.
Partners: Inter RAO UES (diversified energy holding company), Gazprom, West-Siberian Metal Plant, Boreskov Institute of Catalysis of SB RAS, Indian Institute of Technology Madras (India), University of Wisconsin–Madison (USA), Czech technical university in Prague (the Czech Republic), and Jilin University (China).