The general management of the University is realized by the elected representative body - the Academic Council of Tomsk Polytechnic University.
TPU Academic Council determines the prospects and directions of academic, research and economic activities of the University and makes decisions on the following issues:
- Approval of the University structure;
- Establishment, reorganization, and liquidation of academic and research departments of the University (laboratories, faculties etc.);
- Organization of the educational process;
- Planning and financing of research activities, refresher courses and advanced professional training of teaching and academic staff;
- Extension of contacts with educational and scientific organizations in the country and abroad;
- Determination of scholarship award procedure;
- Extra-budgetary funds allocation;
- Elections to the posts of heads of departments, deans of faculties/subdivisions, competitive selection for conclusion of employment agreements (contracts) for professorship;
- Annual hearings of the Rector's report on the University activities;
academic title nominations;
- Determination of the rector nomination process and the election procedure;
- Discussion of amendments to the University Charter;
- University staff and students nomination to government awards and honorary titles.